Working from home has never been more important for people than now. With many people facing job loss, or being asked to not attend their workplace, it is worth investigating what work from home options are actually available for people.
It turns out there are many options available for people. In fact, there are loads of platforms dedicated to matching people’s skills with freelancing tasks and short term jobs that can be done remotely from anywhere in the world. All it takes is a bit of research about the options available, choosing what will work for you, and signing up.
PeoplePerHour is one such website.
In this PeoplePerHour review we’ll find out all about PeoplePerHour and whether it is worth joining.
PeoplePerHour is a platform where freelancers can use their skills. PeoplePerHour connects clients with expert freelancers who are available to hire by the hour or project.
Let’s take a look at PeoplePerHour.
Some basic information about PeoplePerHour:
- Website: https://www.peopleperhour.com
- Price to join: Free to join and submit 15 bids per month
- In operations since: 2007
- Recommended: Yes
My PeoplePerHour review will take you through the following sections:
- What is PeoplePerHour and how does PeoplePerHour work?
- How do you get paid with PeoplePerHour?
- Is PeoplePerHour legit?
- My recommended way of making money online
What is PeoplePerHour and how does PeoplePerHour Work?
Here’s a short video explaining at a high level how PeoplePerHour works:
- Apply to become a freelancer on the PeoplePerHour platform – you will need to complete an online application which gets reviewed and approved by a moderation team. If your application is approved, you will have access to the jobs that are available.
- Build your profile – your profile is critical, it’s what gets seen by potential clients. They can search your profile and determine whether they think your skills and experience will match the needs of their project. Your profile has the ability to show examples of your work, and should be updated regularly.
- Find the roles that match your skills – you will automatically be matched with roles that meet your skills based on your profile. You can also search for roles. When you find a role that you want, you need to submit a proposal for it in order to win the project. You can send up to 15 proposals per month for free.
You can also create your own bespoke package to tailor your offerings. This allows you to sell your custom services in bite size offers and start building lasting relationships with clients.
When you find a project you want to complete, submit a proposal and respond to the client. If you have questions make sure you ask them to ensure you have clarity. Set realistic budgets and achievable milestones. Once you have completed the work, you can invoice the client. The client reviews you at the end of every project. Freelancers who are consistently rated highly have better visibility on the platform, and tend to be awarded more work, so your ratings are important.
As mentioned earlier, you will get 15 proposal credits per month for free, and can purchase extra credits when the free allotment has been used. The fees for extra proposal credits is:
How Do You Get Paid With PeoplePerHour?
When your proposal is selected, the client pays a deposit into an escrow account, which is held there until you complete the project and raise an invoice.
Once you’ve completed a project, raise an invoice directly. The information is automatically populated based on your project. Your client is notified instantly and once they authorise payment, the funds are moved from the project’s escrow account into your PeoplePerHour account.
The payment terms are seven days, except for Per Hour Contracts which is three days.
Whilst there is no registration or sign-up fees, there are service fees on earnings you need to be aware of.
The freelancer’s service fees were updated on 2nd December 2019:
- Over £5000 | $7000 | € 6000-lifetime billing per Buyer: 3.5% (excl. VAT) Service Fee
- Between £250 | $350 | €300 and £5000 | $7000 | €6000 lifetime billing per Buyer: 7.5% (excl. VAT) Service Fee
- Below £250 | $350 | € 300-lifetime billing per Buyer: 20% (excl. VAT) Service Fee
The minimum payment made using Auto Pay or Per Hour Contracts is £6| €7 | $10 (excl. VAT).
The minimum Service Fee per invoice is £2.5 | €3 | $3.5 (excl. VAT)
I would recommend you read the full PeoplePerHour terms and conditions before signing up.
Is PeoplePerHour Legit? It sure is!
PeoplePerHour is absolutely legitimate, and has been successfully operating since 2007, so there is a definite track record.
There was no Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating at the time of writing this post. However, there were several negative reviews on sitejabber, from both freelancers and employers alike. This did surprise me, because anecdotally this is meant to be one of the better freelancing platforms.
Of the 100 reviews, 79 gave PeoplePerHour a rating of only 1 or 2:
There were some positive reviews, from freelancers and employers. People do earn money using this platform, and there will always be complaints. However, I would exercise caution if you’re a first time freelancer on this site. The site is definitely is not a scam, however it does like their customer service function and communication processes need some improvement.
Other Ways to Earn Extra Money From Home
Check out my list of ways to Earn Extra Money From Home. This includes cash back sites, get paid to sites, surveys, writing, website testing and other freelancing sites.
Whilst getting extra money through freelancing is awesome (and in many cases necessary!), my preferred way to earn money from home is through affiliate marketing. With this model, you can build your own business while you’re working and earning. You will need to earn money from another source while you are setting yourself up, so you will need to be realistic about that.
Affiliate marketing is a great way to be in charge of your career and create a residual income:
For those of you not familiar with the model, here it is:
With affiliate marketing, you can be your own boss. You can even outsource your work to others using a platform like PeeopPerHour so you can focus on your business.
Create your account today and explore the opportunity: